Monday, April 6, 2009

Oozing Sores

“Bye, Colin.” A quick hug and my mother turns away from me, not even looking back as she leaves me on my own in a state I’d never been in, with people I’d never met, about to take a twelve hour bus ride and spend three weeks in a Canadian State Park with these strangers.
“Hi!” someone exclaims to my right as I catch the last glimpse of my mother’s severely silver head. “I’m Luis! Where are you from, I’m from Texas!”
Oh Jesus, I thought… Texans. I abandoned the conversation to change into the wilderness garb that had been accrued by my parents for me, based on a list sent by the school. Nylon, mid-thigh length, brown shorts, SmartWool socks, black Tiva’s, green windbreaker, blue bandana, Aviator sunglasses, I looked like the most expensive homeless person ever.
I felt even more out of place when I returned from the bathroom and realized I was the only person decked out like a fool at this juncture. My eyes welled as the Velcro ankle straps of my dorky shoes stripped a couple of layers of skin from my Achilles. This was going to be terrible.
I wasn’t an away-from home kid. I attended camp once, and by that I mean my mom dropped me off only to get a phone call from her wailing seven-year-old a mere three hours later begging her to come get me. Luckily the camp wasn’t but ten minutes from my house, and it wasn’t even an overnight affair. I just didn’t like severe, long-term change, or what I perceived to be so.
With this knowledge of myself, I gritted my teeth, called myself a pussy and entered the Recital Hall in the FAB to be debriefed along with my normally dressed cohorts. I took a seat near the back, and started eavesdropping.
I heard a lot of names of towns I assumed were in Michigan: Troy, Dexter, Detroit… Well the Detroit Area, Ann Arbor, Grosse Pointe, Ann Arbor, and then a throaty voice said, “I’m from Avon, Connecticut.”
Holy crap!
“Dude I’m from Granby!” I blurted. “Oh wow, how are all your cows?” asked Ryan Douglass, my fellow Connecticutian and future friend who would later transfer after freshman year.
“I just have chickens thank you,” I replied, “How’s all your money?”
“Just wonderful.”
Well he’s kind of a dick, I thought, but at least he’s relatable. As my comfort zone expanded as slowly and painfully as my oozing Achilles wound, I found myself caring less and less that the people around me were either snarky dicks or complete douche bags.
“I’m Sam, I like Cake!” shouted the four foot, patchy faced kid in the seat in front of me at the beginning of the day long bus ride. “Do you play any sports?” Asked a deep voice to my right. Lunatics and jocks, it was just like high school.
All I could do at this point was ignore the fact that I had more in common with the Cake-loving, (he meant the band but it took a while to figure this out) Lord of the Rings fanatic with serious opinions about the state of the economy than the relatively sane jock in the seat next to me. Eventually I fell asleep.
I woke up in a small puddle of drool on the muscular shoulder of my athletic seat companion. Apologizing awkwardly, the old feelings of dread and discomfort flooded back when I saw out the windows, about eighteen twenty-somethings, dressed entirely in fleece, circumnavigating the bus at top speed, shouting and jumping like coked-out second graders encircling an ice-cream truck. I quickly discovered that these asylum escapees would be leading us through the Canadian wilderness. My heart sank.
Lining up for group selection, I realized that there was only one attractive female leader. All right, I thought, if I get into the hot leader’s group, maybe I can use that as evidence that things won’t be so bad. I’ll just use this girl as a chauvinistic omen. Slowly, names were called out, a drool stained shoulder appeared when a Joe Malone was called to join the hot leader’s group, then a gangly kid with a stupid last name, a curly haired girl with a mean mug, a really loud half-Korean, half-Italian girl, a tiny gymnast girl, and then…
“Colin King.” A sign from the god of sexism, everything would be all right. And despite the girl with the train whistle for a voice, and the Kentuckian hippie who cried whenever possible, everything was all right.
After embarrassing myself in introductions where we had to pair our first name with the name of an animal starting with the same letter, (I thought alternate names for roosters were funny, I did have pet chickens for Christ’s sake) and discussing Amelie a little too passionately, I became great friends with these people. I’ve since had a few classes and adventures with the angry girl with the curly hair, I live with the gangly kid, and Joe Malone turned out to be one of my best friends of freshman year. And I didn’t even have to call my mom once.

6 comments:

  1. Colin, your piece is really funny. I like how you described certain things using details to prove your point. I was confused about where you were going with the story at first. You mentioned the time you went to camp and then started the actual story with entering FAB. It wasn't until then I realized you were talking about LandSea. I think you should make it more clear and say it earlier in the piece. You also wrote this piece like it was meant to be read by K students, but I think you should write it as if you were publishing it. So the words pu*** and d*** shouldn't be said. Overall, it was fun reading your story, but I think you could add a comment about what you realized about yourself or of this experience as you remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colin- this starts off with an uneasy feeling in my stomach, I hope that was the intention—I think it was. “Most expensive homeless person ever” funny! Very you. The flashback to your childhood, however brief, says a lot for the tale. How are all your cows… needs some explanation, but so funny. The whole thing is a little esoteric. Dude you MIGHT want to watch he actual-name use. That can bite you in the ass later, maybe. I’m not entirely sure. I’m not going to whine about the sexism jokes, but I’m sure somewhere down the line someone might. Ok so tons of flavor and reality in the piece, but I never quite got a sense of, well…narrative. You start out strong, and I get some sense of the conflict, but it doesn’t seem to go anywhere, it’s just walking along the narrative and then…some stuff happened… denouement! Yay! Maybe if you ran out of room you’ll have to pare it down and add more in later. I guess I want a climax. This screams for a climax or altercation and there isn’t one. If one did not occur, well… maybe this isn’t the story to tell? But it’s technically very nice, and I get a great sense of that colin voice I like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colin King, this girl with the mean mug and curly hair thoroughly enjoyed your LandSea throwback. You did kind of look like the most expensive homeless person ever.
    There are so many things about this article that I just adored. You captured Connecticut’s pompous attitude with grace (as much as is possible from a Connecticutian, that is) and accuracy, your snub at all the K kids who identify with Detroit when what they really mean is lilly-white suburbville, and your pacing kept me in it the whole time. As I was reading, I kept noticing the really strong structure—varied sentence length and pseudo-profound commentary like “Lunatics and jocks, it was just like high school,” “Eventually I fell asleep,” and “My heart sank,” made me think, “Yea, that’s Colin!” The piece is so authentically you and the bit about your experience with summer camp depicts you so well for the reader who doesn’t know you, the entire tale benefits.

    The only criticism I have (and please be assured I am not attacking Granby specifically, or you and your chickens), is that before you introduce Ryan Douglass and the huge detail that you had geographic ally, it might be clearer if you say that you are from Connecticut. It just makes the news all the more exciting and would make more sense to me as the reader. I wish I could have observed that initial exchange; sounds like you were both clearly on your snarky games. Oh and also, watch the cursing. No one likes a potty mouth.

    And sheesh, be nice to our Kentuckian hippie! I think you might also want to consider naming everyone or not naming anyone at all, just for consistency’s sake

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Colin, Luckily for you, yours was the last piece of the day that I had the pleasure of critiquing, so I’ll try to be nice. (KIDDING!) As a LandSea alum, I have to confess that this piece was my favorite of the day. I read it to my roommate who I met on the bus ride to Killarney, and he died laughing & adores you almost as much as I do. Okay. Enough with the ego strokes you chauvinist pig (just kidding)… You developed your big boy theme very well, I should bring you a sucker. And your very detailed account of being away from home for the first time and the discomfort you felt being forced to play nice with people who you’d normally be ripping on for three weeks was something I along with almost everyone else in our class can relate to. So your theme was felt consistently throughout the piece, you established a unique voice as a writer I’ve never read anything of before, and you made me laugh. A lot. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first reaction that I had after reading your piece was “this guy is really being honest!” Your way of defining the rest of the people is very bold and even bigot, but the fact that you admit it and are conscious of it throughout the story lets you go away with it. I think it is very fun to read, however there is a part of it that I think is missing. You jump from hating to loving, I need some more about the experience that made you change your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading responses? Your comments on other people's pieces from last week?

    Come on, Colin. It's too early in the quarter to get behind!

    ReplyDelete